Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Minnie Mouse Cupcakes


I made my son a Mickey cake for his birthday back in January. Since then my daughter has been talking about the Minnie cake she'd get for her birthday. I didn't want to do the same cake again, and I wanted something simple - so I came up with these.

I followed the cake mix directions and then added the following ingredients to moisten the cake up a bit:

1 cup sour cream
1 small packet of chocolate instant Jello (because my cupcakes were chocolate)
1 cup of sugar

I then baked according to the cake directions.

To decorate:
2 cans vanilla frosting
1 jar red professional food coloring (can usually be found at party stores)
1 pack of oreos
small (sandwich size) plastic bag

Empty contents of 1 jar of vanilla frosting into medium sized mixing bowl. Add entire jar of food coloring - mix well, cover, and let sit overnight. It takes a while for the true red to come through. It will look dark pink at first.

The next day - frost the cupcakes with red frosting. Take small scoop of vanilla frosting (from second can) and place in plastic baggie. Snip off very small corner of the bag, and squeeze white frosting for polka dots. They will look pointy at first. Allow them to dry before pushing down tips.

Take Oreos and twist open. Push down through frosting and into cupcakes. Don't worry about removing the frosting from the back of the Oreos - people like that part anyway!


2 comments:

  1. Those are the cutest things ever! Such a super mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DARLING! My sister in law just did something similar, but they were blue and they were cookie monster cup cakes. The oreo cookie was sticking out of his mouth!

    I love your darlingness!

    ReplyDelete