Sunday, April 19, 2009

O-R-E-O



I think my love for baking originated with these cookies.  They were easy, and a huge hit amongst friends and family.  I have had many family members ask for the recipe, and then later say that they were a complete flop.  I'm going to take this one step by step - and hope that it encourages those people to give these delicious treats one more try; they're totally worth it.

Shopping List:
Devil's Food Cake Mix
Vanilla Frosting
Vegetable Oil
Eggs

The first step is getting the right ingredients.  I've tried a few different cake brands, and flavors but these always seem to taste the best:
Combine cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup vegetable oil in medium sized bowl.  Mix well.  This part can be tricky, because the dough is very dense and it often seems like there is not enough liquid.  Be patient:  there's plenty, it just takes a while for everything to combine.  Before I had my Kitchenaid, I had to use a fork - and it took FOREVER.  Once the dough is well mixed, roll into balls and place on a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.  Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes.  Knowing when to pull these out is KEY.  If the cookies are pulled out too soon, they'll go flat.  If they're left in too long, they burn.  I always set the timer for seven minutes, and pull them out as soon as the tops BEGIN to crack:  

Enlarge the picture and notice the cookies in the back row. Those cookies were perfect. (The front cookies didn't crack as well as they should have because I kept opening the oven to take the picture!)

Pull the cookies out, but do not remove from the cookie sheet. Place them on a table or counter (away from the heat of the oven) to cool. Once cooled, frost the bottom of one with vanilla frosting, and then place another cookie on top. Enjoy!

***Warning - these cookies are easily consumed in mass quantities, and often lead to bloated, sick, stomachs - with no desire to stop eating. They also lead to sneaky behavior:

(I felt like making him eat the one he licked wasn't much of a punishment...but what else could I do?!)

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see this blog...I'm sure it's one we will be checking often. I love the recipes you've posted so far and have already added them to my recipe box! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Can't wait to see what other goodies you'll bake up for us!

    ReplyDelete